Indigenous AOD Workers' Wellbeing Resources
Success Stories From the Frontline of Aboriginal Health
Author: Oxfam Australia
Publisher: Oxfam Australia
These nine short 'digital stories' showcase work conducted by Aboriginal Health Workers in Victoria. Each digital story is told through a combination of photo and voice over.The digital stories were compiled by Aboriginal Health Workers themselves, and give a firsthand account of successful local projects.
The stories demonstrate the diversity of work being undertaken by Health Workers, such as:
- using art therapy to enhance emotional wellbeing
- conducting walking and sailing groups
- facilitating cook-ups and community gardens
- running dental referral and playgroup services
- using puppetry to educate children about sensitive issues like family violence.
The stories are told by workers from the following organisations:
- Peninsula Health Koori Team
- Western Region Health Centre
- Plenty Valley Health
- Gippsland and East Gippsland Aboriginal Cooperative
- Mullum Mullum Indigenous Gathering Place and EACH Social and Community Health
- Sunraysia Community Health and Mildura Aboriginal Cooperative
- South West Healthcare.
The stories were produced at workshops facilitated by Oxfam Australia and the Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO).