The Grey Matters National Conference
The Grey Matters National Conference: Preventing and responding to alcohol and other drug problems among older Australians
The National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA) is pleased to announce that it is hosting a national conference on identifying, preventing and responding to alcohol and other drug problems among older Australians. The Grey Matters National Conference will be held on:
Wednesday 1 April 2015
9am – 5pm
The Education Development Centre
4 Milner St, Hindmarsh SA
Registration Fee $195.00 (inc GST)
The Conference aims to:
- Promote better understanding, and raise awareness of, alcohol and other drug issues as they impact older Australians
- Clarify the implications, for the aged care sector and the alcohol and other drug prevention / treatment sector, of trends in alcohol and drug use among older Australians
- Identify possible ways forward for cross-sectoral initiatives and response strategies.
Who should attend?
- Aged care service providers (community and residential) and policy staff
- Alcohol and other drug prevention, treatment and policy staff
- Primary care workers with a role in meeting the health and welfare needs of older Australians.
- Changing demographics
- Ageing and the brain
- Mental health
- Services and support needs.
The National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction (NCETA) is hosting the above conference on Wednesday 1 April 2015 in Adelaide. This initiative is in response to increasing concerns regarding changes in patterns of alcohol and other drug use among older Australians and resultant levels of harm. This is a largely under-recognised issue and older people with these problems often experience substantial stigma. In addition, existing alcohol and other drug prevention and treatment services do not generally focus on the needs of older clients, while generic health and community services developed for older people are often not familiar with the array of potential alcohol and drug problems that might exist and ways to best manage them. These factors place this group of older Australians at significant disadvantage.
The Conference will bring together key representatives of the aged care, alcohol and other drug and primary health sectors to focus on this issue.
Click on the links below for more information and to register and pay to attend the conference.