Working and Walking Together: Supporting Family Relationship Services to Work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Families and Organisations
Author: Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC)
Publisher: Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care (SNAICC)
This resource aims to support non-Indigenous family relationship services to work in culturally appropriate ways with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and their communities.
The resource offers a general introduction to and practical tips on:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and families
- the social and historical context of contemporary issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- the importance of personal professional reflection and tips on cross-cultural communication approaches
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural protocols
- approaches for non-Indigenous organisations to develop their cultural competence in engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community-controlled organisations
- developing culturally appropriate programs and professional practice
- using action research evaluation methodologies for organisations to document, reflect on, evaluate and report on initiatives to engage more effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and develop partnerships with community organisations.
Targeted at family relationships services, the resource is suitable for all staff, including administrative and intake staff, counsellors, mediators and dispute resolution practitioners, relationship and parenting educators, and managers/supervisors. The resource is also useful to other non-Indigenous staff and organisations working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in family and community services.
- Stakeholder Consultations
- Workforce Development (WFD)
- What is Workforce Development?
- Alcohol & Other Drugs National Workforce Survey 2019-2020
- Who are the Alcohol and Other Drug Workforce?
- Key Workforce Development Links
- Education and Training
- Why is WFD necessary?
- Indigenous AOD Workforce
- Alcohol & Drugs in the Workplace
- Alcohol & Drugs in Society
- Screening and Withdrawal Tools
- Ice Online Training
- Events and Webinars